Chicken and leeks are a lovely combination in any recipe, but together in a soup recipe, perfect. This chicken and leek soup recipe is also known as "cock-a-leekie
" soup in the Scottish kitchen
, but whatever you want to call it, it is a delicious, filling soup and very easy to make.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 medium sized leeks, well washed and chopped to 2cm / ¾" lengths
- 3 medium sized carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1x 1.25 / 2lb 12oz/ fresh, whole chicken
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and crushed black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large stock or soup pan. Add all the vegetables and brown over a medium-high heat for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken to the pot and enough water to more than cover. Add the bay leaf. Add 6 leek
- Cover the pot and simmer gently for 1- 1 ½ hours or until the chicken is falling off the bone Remove the chicken and reserve.
- Continue cooking the broth for 20 minutes to intensify the flavour. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shred some of the reserved chicken meat and add to the finished soup.
Note: The reserved chicken can also be served as a separate course with boiled potatoes and other fresh vegetables.