Chicken and leeks are a lovely combination in any recipe, but together in a soup recipe, perfect. This chicken and leek soup recipe is also known as cock-a-leekie soup in the Scottish kitchen, but whatever you want to call it, it is a delicious, filling soup and very easy to make.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 medium sized leeks, well washed and chopped to ¾"/2cm lengths
- 3 medium sized carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 2lb 12oz/ 1.25k fresh, whole chicken
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and crushed black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large stock or soup pan. Add all the vegetables and brown over a medium-high heat for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken to the pot and enough water to more than cover. Add the bay leaf.
Add 6 leek
Cover the pot and simmer gently for 1- 1 ½ hours or until the chicken is falling off the bone
Remove the chicken and reserve.
Continue cooking the broth for 20 minutes to intensify the flavour.
Season with salt and pepper.
Shred some of the reserved chicken meat and add to the finished soup.
Note: The reserved chicken can also be served as a separate course with boiled potatoes and other fresh vegetables.