In this Beetroot Soup recipe, the beets partner up nicely with a toasted bread crouton slathered with tasty goats cheese, a great combination but feel free to use a cheese you like; just remember it needs to be a little punchy in flavour.
This recipe is based on one from Love Beetroot and they suggest using precooked beetroot which by all means makes a great soup. to ring the the changes try using with roasted beets for an intense flavour.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 500g cooked beetroot, cut into chunks, or
- 500g roasted beetroot (see note below)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 750ml vegetable stock
- For the croutons:
- 4 slices of baguette
- Extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 1 small goats cheese, cut into rounds
- 4 sage leaves, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
- In a large, heavy bottom saucepan, gently heat the oil to hot but not burning. Add the onion and sweat gently until soft - around 10 minutes. Be careful not to burn the onions.
- Meanwhile, brush the bread slice on both sides with olive oil and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until lightly crisp.
- Once soft, add the crushed garlic to the onions in the pan and cook gently for a further minute.
- Add the beetroot, stock and balsamic vinegar to the onions and garlic and bring to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Using a food processor, liquidiser or hand blender, blend the soup until really smooth and keep warm.
- Rub each slice of bread on both sides with the cut garlic cloves. Top each slice with a round of goats or your chosen cheese. Sprinkle with the shredded sage leaves and a drizzle of olive oil. Return the croutons to the oven for a few minutes until the cheese has begun to melt.
- To Serve: pour the soup into warmed bowls and float a crouton on top and serve immediately.