A wet August now a warm, sunny September, so I suggest you head to the forests and woods of Britain right now. This weather combination means wild mushrooms will be springing up everywhere.
I do not what to put a dampener on this wonderful pastime, however. as with any wild food foraging it must be approached with care. A couple of years ago 17 people were killed in Northern Italy through carelessness and greed. If possible, find a local group to join, there's safety and knowledge in numbers, and sharing the experience is so much fun.
Carefully follow these guidelines to ensure not only your own safety but also to protect the delicate environment around wild mushrooms.
Once you have the mushrooms home there are many delicious recipes to use them in here are just a few of the many from other guides at About.com including my own 2 favorites .
- Wild Mushroom Lasagna.
- Forest Soup
- Eggplant Boats with Wild Mushrooms - Italian Food
- Creamy Polenta with Wild Mushrooms - Home Cooking
- Creamy Risotto with Pan Seared Scallops and Wild Mushrooms - Gourmet Food
- Mushroom Strudel - Eastern European Food
- Chicken Fricassee with Mushrooms and Dill - Scandinavian Food
Stay up to date with British Food by signing up for my Weekly Newsletter or Join me on Twitter
Photo © Getty Images