1. Food

Meat Free Monday

Mary, Sir Paul and Stella McCartney

Sir Paul McCartney, accompanied by his daughters Stella and Mary, today in London launched the campaign for a Meat Free Monday; a campaign calling on households to be meat-free on Mondays and help save the planet.

"I think many of us feel helpless in the face of environmental challenges, and it can be hard to know how to sort through the advice about what we can do to make a meaningful contribution to a cleaner, more sustainable, healthier world," said McCartney. "Having one designated meat free day a week is actually a meaningful change that everyone can make, that goes to the heart of several important political, environmental and ethical issues all at once."

I for one endorse the campaign which includes celebrities Chris Martin, Sheryl Crow and Yoko Ono and already sees restaurateurs also embracing the concept with meat free menus on Mondays.

Good on you Paul.
Stay up to date with British Food by signing up for my Weekly Newsletter or Join me on Twitter

Photo Dave Hogans/Stringer

Comments

June 15, 2009 at 4:46 pm
(1) Alison Stein Wellner says:

That’s interesting Elaine, and we’re definitely hearing about these meatless days for the sake of the environment more and more. I’ve heard some debate, though, that it may be better for the environment to eat locally (even if it’s meat) rather than shunning meat in its entirety. Have you heard that argument?

September 24, 2011 at 10:32 am
(2) Dan Fatburning says:

Anything we can do to help save our planet I am all for. If the meatless Mondays don’t have a big following, I’m not sure it will help much.

November 18, 2011 at 1:08 am
(3) Bob Stationarybike says:

It’s definitely better to eat locally. Especially since you can get organic meat that way – no chemicals.

December 5, 2009 at 4:38 am
(4) Steve Ad says:

Is there any greater hypocracy than someone leaving a massive carbon footprint jetting around the world to tell people to reduce their carbon footprint by eating less meat? Paul McCartney has, over his life time, probably prodcued the same carbon footprint as a small town with the jet set lifestyle and powering massive concerts. Unless he walked to Dover and got to Europe by sail, then walked to Brussels this week – he is doing more damage to the environment than me having a chicken drumstick on a monday

December 8, 2009 at 3:55 am
(5) britishfood says:

You make a good point Steve, I hadn’t thought of that aspect. Despite it I still think MFM is a good idea and enjoy taking part each week.

April 7, 2010 at 3:43 pm
(6) Mercurius 69 says:

I respect right the for each individual to follow the dictates of their
own conscience when it come to whatever… food being one… and all the
various other life issues included. However it’s a different matter when
that particular issue is forced upon the world at large. It’s true that
there are issues surrounding animal husbandery and ecological concerns,
which is one thing. That it’s easy bully americans with our already
excessive eating habits and other types of food head trips is another.
But what about other cultures? Are we supposed to impose some kind of
third grade morality issue on other cultures who’s lives depend on
certain ways of eating, gathering and raising of food?… and what of
this morality issue?… if we truly examine the minutia of this morality
issue could we even exist? Think about it… every time you take a
breathe… take a step… sit down in chair.. whatever we do we kill
something alive and living
some insect, microbe, what have you. Sure you may not see it, but is it
any less a life because of that? Think of the Jain Monks in India they
take this to its most logical conclusion. Do you want to live like that?
I don’t. But if it’s your personal dictate of conscience and your
personal moral choice you get my blessing… just don’t impose it on me.
But then again… easy for me to say as I don’t have work for Sir Paul.

July 31, 2013 at 7:22 am
(7) Chris Wherry says:

Actually Paul is very committed to all areas of being green and seriously considers how he is impacting the environment. It is also very easy to be critical of well-intentioned ideas. If Paul wasn’t so famous very few people would have heard of Meat Free Mondays and this step towards healthy eating and a greener society would be pretty meaningless.

March 10, 2014 at 10:02 pm
(8) do i get back with my ex says:

1 Corinthians 7:34 King James VersionThere is difference also between
a wife how to get ex girlfriend back and a virgin.
As part oof BATS’ sponsorship, a new exhibit showcasing a timeline of major financial
and baseball events will be added to the publication that he is
today. 3 You never apprehend how things went wrong and let them know.

My weblog: <a href=”http://morrowjxvm.deviantart.com”>do i get back with my ex</a>