I am in complete awe of Anne Petch at Heal Farm in Devon and her 12-bird Love Roast; one bird for each of the Twelve Days of Christmas.
The roast weighs 55lbs/25kg, feeds 125 people and takes 10 hours to cook presuming you have an oven big enough. Anne claims it only takes her 45 minutes to assemble but I'll assume that's without all the boning of the birds.
And the cost - £665/$1000 which is actually only £5/$8 a head, a bargain.
The Love Roast originated in Elizabethan times and was made from swans but these are now protected birds so a turkey now takes center stage.
On the outside is a Turkey with the breasts inside followed by:
- Goose filled with orange and walnut stuffing.
- Chicken with hazelnut and ginger.
- Pheasant with juniper stuffing.
- Aylesbury duck with sage and onion.
- Barbary duck with Persian fruit stuffing.
- Poussin and guinea fowl layered with parsley, lemon and thyme.
- Partridge and Pigeon Squab set in juniper stuffing.
- Mallard duck layered with cranberry and lemon and
- Whole boned Quail filled with cranberry and orange relish.