Last week I was asked if I could recommend a really good British salad. Easy...well not when I got to thinking about it. There actually isn't a salad which is quintessentially British. That came as a big surprise to me.
As a child salad involved a mound of iceberg lettuce, a tomato, a few slices of cucumber, a spring onion and for protein, a slice of ham or cheese. All of this would then be drenched in Heinz Salad Cream dressing. I loved it, it's what I knew and I always looked forward to it.
The Fresh Prepared Salads Group has just finished running a competition to find a Great British Salad, and the winning salads will be known soon. I look forward to the results. Until then here are some great salad recipes from around the world to keep you going until I can add Britain to the list.
- Taco Salad from Mexico
- Selection of Greek Salads
- Delicious & Healthy Herring Salad from Scandinavia
- Kohl Rabi Salad from Holland
- Polish Rhubarb and Carrot Salad from Eastern Europe
- Shrimp and Pineapple Salad with a Coconut Dressing from Thailand
- Kumara (Sweet Potato) Salad from Australia
- Red Pepper and Fresh Corn Salad from the USA